Alyssa Edwards (real name – Justin Johnson) is an American television personality, drag performer, choreographer, and entertainer, who rose to fame after she appeared on the 5th season of RuPaul’s Drag Race. She is also known for her web series titled “Alyssa’s Secret.”
Edwards was born on January 16, 1980. There is not much information regarding Alyssa’s childhood and education.
In 2008, she appeared in Pageant, a documentary film that explored the behind-the-scenes dramas and realities of the 34th Miss Gay America Contest held in 2004. It was produced and directed together by Stewart Halpern and Ron Davis.
In 2012, Edwards participated in the 5th season of RuPaul’s Drag Race. She finished in 6th place. Alyssa said about participating in the competition: ”I was born to be on stage. I didn’t know it would be in this capacity, but it brings my life so much joy.”
The winner was Jinkx Monsoon. This is the first-ever series in RuPaul’s Drag Race’s history to feature a double-elimination between two contestants.
RuPaul’s Drag Race: All-Stars
In 2016, Edwards joined RuPaul’s Drag Race: All Stars. The prizes for the winner were a cash prize of $100,000 as well as a one-year supply of Anastasia Beverly Hills cosmetics. She reached 5th place.
In 2018, Edwards went on to star in her own Netflix docu-series ”Dancing Queen.” She said about the docu-series: ”On Dancing Queen, what you’re gonna see is exactly what went on. There was no faking it.”
The cast of Dancing Queen also included:
- Kelly, Ainsley’s mother;
- Kristen, Willow’s mother;
- Neil and Robbie, costume designers for Edwards;
- Shelly, a former dance mom at Beyond Belief;
- Nick, a dance teacher at Beyond Belief;
- Celeste Robbins, choreographer and assistant director at Beyond Belief;
- Dawn Robbins, manager of Beyond Belief;
- Marcella Raneri, assistant director at Beyond Belief;
- Laganja Estranja, Edwards’s friend;
- Shangela Laquifa Wadley, Edwards’s friend.
Alyssa Edwards is not currently married.
Previously, she dated a guy named Marco.
Now, Edwards is dating her boyfriend, Manny Silveyra, a dance instructor.
”Every woman has a secret. Mine just happens to be a little bigger…I’m a man!”
”I remind myself every night that I’ve had such an amazing life.”
”Don’t get bitter, just get better.”
”I do everything I love. I go work out. You know, I’ve gotta keep those back rolls away.” (Cosmopolitan)
”In life, it’s much harder to be the bigger person, and you’ve got to ask yourself, What is really important to me?”
”It is important to have a balance, and I can say that I have finally located my missing puzzle piece.” (HelloGiggles)
”I wanted to be a creator, I knew that at 14.”
Her stage name of ”Alyssa Edwards” is an homage to Alyssa Milano and the drag family House of Edwards. She said: ”Alyssa was always one of my idols, so to have her adopt me now was amazing.”
READ MORE: Who is John Romero’s wife?
Edwards credits her uncle Bobby (a gay actor involved in the local theater community) with getting her involved in the entertainment industry. She said about her uncle: ”My uncle Bobby, who was my hero, was into theater arts and actually introduced me to my passion and the arts, was very creative.”
She holds many pageant titles, including:
- National Entertainer of the Year, FI 2014, first alternate;
- All American Goddess 2010, winner;
- Southern Elegance All American Goddess 2010, winner;
- Miss Gay America 2010, winner;
- Miss Gay Heartland America 2010, first alternate;
- Miss Gay Heartland America 2009, first alternate;
- Miss Gay America 2009, third alternate;
- Miss Gay Mid East America 2008, first alternate;
- Miss Shining Star Continental 2009, winner;
- Miss Texas Continental 2007, winner;
- Miss Gay USofA 2006, winner;
- Miss Texas FFI 2006, winner;
- Miss Gay America 2006, third alternate;
- Miss Northwest Regional Representative 2005, winner;
- Miss Gay America 2005, second alternate;
- Miss Gay Texas America 2005, winner;
- Miss Gay Texas America 2004, first alternate.
She was stripped of her 2010 Miss Gay America title on December 9, 2010, due to conflicting businesses with obligations to the Miss Gay America organization.
READ MORE: Garrett Adelstein Net Worth
Alyssa Edwards – Net Worth
Edwards earned most of her wealth from managing her own dance studio, Beyond Belief in Mesquite, Texas.
Additionally, Alyssa has her own eyeshadow palette with Anastasia Beverly Hills, an American cosmetics company that is best known for its eyebrow products.
Moreover, Edwards made money from her web series “Alyssa’s Secret,” starring in the Netflix docu-series ”Dancing Queen,” and winning many pageant competitions.
She also sells merch on redbubble.com/shop/alyssa+edwards. Therefore, Alyssa Edwards has an estimated net worth of $1 million.
READ THIS NEXT: Who is Hannah Bronfman?