Justin Roiland is an American writer, producer, director and voice actor who voiced the character Lemongrab on Adventure Time and was the voice of Oscar on Disney’s Fish Hooks. But, Justin is best known for creating the ”Rick and Morty” series and voicing both of the lead characters.
In addition, Roiland is well known for his Channel 101 shorts he made in his early career.
He was born on February 21, 1980, in Stockton, California, USA. Justin has a younger sister named Amy Roiland, who works as a fashion designer.
As a child, Roiland says he loved watching ”The Ren & Stimpy Show,” an American animated television series that follows the adventures of title characters Stimpy, a good-natured yet dimwitted cat, and Ren, an emotionally unstable chihuahua. The series was created by John Kricfalusi for Nickelodeon.
Justin went to Sierra High School and Manteca High School. After high school, Roiland attended Modesto Junior College in Modesto, California.
In 2004, he moved to LA and got involved with Channel 101, an Los Angeles media collective that was started by Rob Schrab and Dan Harmon, where Justin acted in the VH1 television show Acceptable TV as well as in various movie shorts, like – House of Cosbys and 2 Girls One Cup: The Show.
Roiland then featured regularly on Comedy Central’s The Sarah Silverman Program as ”Blonde Craig.”
Justin co-hosted The Grandma’s Virginity Podcast with Jackie Buscarino and Ryan Ridley, from 2010 to 2013.
In 2016, he co-founded a virtual reality studio – ”Squanchtendo.” The name comes from Squanchy, one of the main characters on Justin’s show – ”Rick and Morty.”
In the same year, collaborating with Crows Crows Crows (a studio that is based in Berlin and is working on experimental and unique video games), Squanchtendo released – ”Accounting,” a virtual reality video for the SteamVR platform.
When asked what made him want to become a video game developer, Justin responded:
“VR was sort of the gateway drug for me, it blew my mind… It was the future!”
Roiland later added:
“My brain just could not stop generating ideas and thinking about things I wanted to make for it.”
In 2017, he changed the name ”Squanchtendo” to “Squanch Games.”
The official statement is:
“We recently discovered a video game related company with a similar name to our former name. We never could have predicted the discovery of a video game entity with such a similar name.”
They also said:
”What a surprise to us. We were shocked and surprised. So we decided in order to avoid confusion we are changing the back half of our name!”
Rick & Morty
Justin currently works as a voice actor on Rick & Morty, for which he is also a co-writer, co-creator, and executive producer with Dan Harmon (an American producer, rapper, writer, actor, and podcaster).
”Rick and Morty” is an American adult animated science fiction sitcom that was created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland for Cartoon Network’s late-night programming block Adult Swim. The series premiered on December 2, 2013, and the 3rd season concluded on October 1, 2017.
The series has received near-universal critical acclaim, holding a 97 percent approval rating by critics on review Rotten Tomatoes, one of the most trusted measurements of quality for movies and TV series.
The series follows the misadventures of Rick Sanchez, a cynical mad scientist, and his grandson Morty Smith, who split their time between interdimensional adventures and domestic life.
During an interview, Roiland said that he hates doing the voice of Rick due to the many burps he has to do. In his words:
“In the pilot episode, I burped on every single line. It took four hours to record, and I went home and I felt like I might need to go to the hospital. A lot of it didn’t come back out the way it came in, and I’ll let your imagination fill in the rest.”
Roiland later added:
”I remember laying in bed holding my stomach and going, “This isn’t going to work!” And then the funniest thing was that Harmon said, “We have to pull back on the burp.” I was like, dammit, I wish I had known that, and also, thank God because I can’t do that.”
In a review shortly after the 2nd-season premiere, Sean Sebastian of Junkee declared that although the over-the-top voice acting and the crude animation might have discouraged some viewers to continue watching, the series is “exceptionally well-made.”
David Sims of The A.V. Club applauded Justin’s voice talent for the eponymous characters and the “effort to give each character a little bit of depth.” Furthermore, David stated that ”Rick and Morty” has “a dark, sick sensibility” and liked the animation for its “clean, simple style.”
Todd Spangler of Variety said about ”Rick and Morty” that it is “a welcome attempt to dream just a little bigger” and that the series “often seems overly reliant on simply being frenetic at the expense of being witty.”
Neil Genzlinger of The New York Times praised ”Rick and Morty” and declared that it was:
“Grandparenting at its unhinged finest.”
David Weigand of San Francisco Chronicle said that ”Rick and Morty” possesses:
“shades of Futurama, South Park and even Beetlejuice.”
Moreover, Weigand praised the animation direction by James McDermott for being “fresh, colorful and as wacky as the script”, and described ”Rick and Morty” as “offbeat and occasionally coarse… the takeaway here is that it works.”
Justin is 5 ft 10 inches tall.
Movies & TV Shows
View this post on Instagram
It’s time for change… . . . . . . . . . . . #Syntek #rickandmorty #tattoo #surrealism #paintings #paint #luxurylifestyle #life #goodvibes #canvas #asmr #love #humor #tutorials #acrylicpainting #oilpainting #art #artist #gaming #sanfrancisco #feelgood #popart #pop #graffiti #anime #memes #cartoon #sketch #portrait #calligraphy
- Solar Opposites Terry, Korvo (2020) (co-creator, director, writer, voices, and executive producer);
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil (2019) Doop-Doop (voice);
- 70th Primetime Emmy Awards (2018) Rick Sanchez, Morty Smith (voices);
- Robot Chicken (2018) Various Voices Episode: “3 2 1 2 333, 222, 3…66?”;
- Hot Streets (2018 – 2019) Chubbie Webbers (voice, executive producer);
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return (2017) Writer: “Reptilicus”;
- Future-Worm! Homework Android (2016) (voice) 1 episode;
- Animals. H&M (2016) (voice) Episode: “Cats”;
- Yo Gabba Gabba! (2015) Sea Queen (voice) Episode: “Mermaids”;
- Pig Goat Banana Cricket Psychopath Giraffe, Radical Rick, Customer (2015–2017) (voices);
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force Honest Abe Lincoln’s Hot Links Mascot (2015) (voice) Episode: “Mouth Quest”;
- Community Ice Cube Head (voice) (2015) Episode: “Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television”;
- The Simpsons Rick Sanchez, Morty Smith (voices) (2015) Episode: “Mathlete’s Feat”;
- Rick and Morty Rick Sanchez, Morty Smith (2013–present) voices, writer, executive producer, co-creator, and director;
- Out There (2013) Chris Novak (voice) 10 episodes;
- Gravity Falls (2012–2015) Blendin Blandin, Bobby Renzobbi, Various Voices 7 episodes;
- Adventure Time Earl of Lemongrab, Lemonhope (2011–2018) Various Voices 14 episodes;
- Fish Hooks Oscar (2010–2014) (voice, story writer);
- The Sarah Silverman Program (2007–2010) Blonde Craig, Chant Leader 8 episodes;
- Acceptable TV (2007) Various Voices, also director, writer, and executive producer;
- House of Cosbys (2005) Various Voices, creator, writer, and executive producer;
- Cheap Seats without Ron Parker Rhonda’s Son (2004) Episode: “1973 Superstars”.
- Smallfoot (2018) Garry (voice);
- Krampus (2015) Clumpy (voice);
- Underdogs (2013) Rippers (voice);
- The Real Animated Adventures of Doc and Mharti (2006) Doc Smith, Mharti McDonhalds (voices) Short film;
- Tenacious D: Time Fixers (2006) Abe Lincoln Short film.
One of Justin’s best friends is Alex Hirsch. In 2016, Alex also co-authored Gravity Falls: Journal 3 that appeared on The New York Times Best Seller list for nearly 12 months. In addition, Hirsch earned BAFTA and Annie Awards for the series.
Roiland owns two dogs, with “Jerry” being the inspiration for Snuffles.
In 2017, Roiland, Ethan Klein (the co-founder of h3h3Productions, an Israeli-American comedy YouTube channel), and Alex Hirsch raised more than $200,000 for hurricane relief via Twitch live stream in which Justin prank called the Lakewood Church in Houston.
Roiland was born with dyslexia, the most common learning disability. It causes children to struggle with word recognition, decoding, and spelling. According to statistics, 50 percent of individuals with dyslexia are left-handed.
Justin Roiland – Net Worth
Roiland earned most of his wealth from working as a voice actor in many movies and TV shows, especially in the series ”Rick and Morty.” In addition, Roiland worked as a director, writer, producer, and animator. Therefore, Justin Roiland has an estimated net worth of $5.3 million.
References https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wj8b9z/a-very-psychedelic-conversation-with-the-creators-of-rick-and-morty https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2019/05/31/rick-and-mortys-co-creator-justin-roiland-on-making-trover-saves-the-universe https://www.gq.com/story/rick-and-morty-renewed-for-season-4-dan-harmon-interview