What was Reckful’s net worth at the time of his death?
Byron “Reckful” Bernstein was an American former professional eSports player and Twitch streamer who gained massive popularity playing games such as WoW and Hearthstone on YouTube and Twitch.
Reckful was born on May 8, 1989, in Los Angeles, California, the United States of America.
Bernstein started playing video games since he was very young.
”When I was two years old, I started playing Mega Man on regular Nintendo. My brother played a lot of MS-DOS games when I was growing up, so I played some Civilization 1 and Bullfrog’s Syndicate, but I mostly played console games.”
READ MORE: Yoshihiro Togashi Net Worth
World of Warcraft
At some point, he started playing WoW.
Byron led his arena team (arenas in WoW are instanced areas in which teams of players can compete against each other in deathmatch-style PvP) to success for six years, being the 1st one to hit the 3,000 points arena rating. In addition, his team won the title “Furious Gladiator” for six seasons in a row, being among the highest-ranked in arena battles.
In 2010, Bernstein joined compLexity Gaming, one of the most respected and long-standing eSports teams in North America. In 2010, he won the MLG Finals in D.C.
Some of his achievements in WoW are:
- 1st Place World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Season 9;
- 1st Place Wrath of the Lich King Season 8;
- 1st Place Wrath of the Lich King Season 7;
- 1st Place Wrath of the Lich King Season 6;
- 1st Place Wrath of the Lich King Season 5;
- 1st Place The Burning Crusade Season 4.
In December 2014, Byron was permanently banned in WoW.
During an interview, Byron said:
”When I quit World of Warcraft, the first thing I did was watch Breaking Bad for 2 days straight, getting from season 1 episode 1 to season 4 episode 7, where it was at the time.”
Hearthstone is an online collectible card game that was published by Blizzard Entertainment. In 2013, Bernstein was invited by Blizzard to compete in the Hearthstone Innkeeper’s Invitational.
In June 2018, Byron began releasing a podcast, entitled – ”Tea Time with Byron,” which features long-form interviews with notable guests in the streaming and gaming communities.
For instance, in one episode, Bernstein meets with Ice Poseidon (real name – Paul Denino), a live streamer known for his spontaneous outdoor interactions.
Jenna was his girlfriend since high school. They dated for about nine years. In March 2015, the two broke up during a stream.
Byron also dated Blue Madrigal.
READ MORE: VideoGameDunkey Net Worth
On July 2, 2020, Bernstein died by suicide.
The cause of death was confirmed by the Travis County medical examiner in October 2020.
Twitch said in a statement: “Byron was someone who talked about his struggles to help make room for others to the same.”
On August 6, 2020, Blizzard added a new Rogue Trainer NPC bearing his name. The new NPC is located in the Cathedral of Light, in Shadowlands.
READ MORE: Who is Crea Tyler?
Byron had an older brother named Gary.
He has had an interest in photography from a young age and even uploads some of his photographs on DeviantArt, an online artwork, photography, and videography community.
In 2012, Byron became an operations manager, developer, and concept designer at Feenix, a gaming mouse company.
One of his friends in high school gave him his World of Warcraft account, and it was already called ”Reckful.”
In November 2017, he played in a charity poker event sponsored by PokerGO.
Bernstein used to work with his community to create a video game called “Everland,” a free to play, seamless open world to create music, make friends, buy your own property, explore, and play games.
Another famous streamer is Reynad.
READ MORE: Brian Redban Wiki
Reckful (Byron Bernstein) – Net Worth
In 2017, Byron was ranked 4th in a list of the top 10 most successful Twitch streamers. Bernstein even claimed to have a net worth of $1.5 million.
But, how does a streamer make money? Twitch streamers have about 4 different ways to make money. They can do:
- Sponsorships – a Twitch streamer can get sponsored to do something – a sponsored YouTube video, a sponsored stream, a sponsored tweet, a sponsored live appearance at an event, or a sponsored Instagram post.
- Subscriptions – viewers can pay $5 per month to be subscribed to a Twitch channel, and in exchange, they get a little bit of benefit, like – access to sub emotes or a special sub badge. However, Twitch will take 50 percent. But, if you are a top-tier partner, you get to keep 70 percent, hence, only 30 percent goes to Twitch.
- Ads – every time you open up a Twitch stream, you get served an ad. When it happens, the Twitch streamer makes some money.
- Donations – viewers can directly donate money to the streamer using PayPal or credit cards. Streamers typically get the majority of that donation.
Byron used to sell merch (t-shirts & hoods) on teespring.com. He had a YouTube channel with over 81 million views (about $170,000 in revenue). Also, he won around $6,000 from tournaments.
Therefore, at the time of his death, Twitch streamer Byron “Reckful” Bernstein had an estimated net worth of $2 million.
READ THIS NEXT: HotshotGG Net Worth